Monday, March 21, 2011

FRESH START TODAY - (Blog 19)

FRESH START TODAY... Are you at peace in any situation?

Philippians 4:11-13, I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. NIV

The Scripture this week comes from a letter addressed to the church of Philippi, written by Paul.  It seems that Paul used to get himself in all kinds of situations as he traveled to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Before his encounter with Christ, he came from a rich family; he was a zealous Pharisee attempting to destroy the new church that came out of faith from the crucified and resurrected Christ Jesus.  Then he had a personal encounter with the Savior that changed the direction he was taking in his life.  An encounter with the Savior changes the directions of every believer’s life. The journey will be challenging, but very rewarding.  A word picture that describes this is like trying to get a child to ride a pony. This could scare them at first, but the pony ride becomes fun!  Just get on the ride with Jesus and you will be blessed.

Can you identify with Paul?  Have you taken chances when serving the Lord?  Have you been knocked down?  Have you had what seemed to be unanswered prayers?  Have you been hungry?  Have you lost a job?  Has a friend turned on you?  Have you had times when there has been money in your pocket to burn?  Have you been blessed by people recognizing that you have a gift that has encouraged them?  Life is definitely full of ups and downs isn’t it?  What has been your attitude?  Paul tells us about his attitude. WOW! How do we get to have an attitude like Paul?  He said that he had learned to be content in every situation.  This is hard to do!  He said that there is a secret and then he states the secret!  “I CAN DO EVERYTHING THROUGH HIM (JESUS) WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH.”  This strength comes from having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and surrendering to the power of the Holy Spirit’s that lives in every true believer.  Are you a believer? You are the only one that can answer that question.

We worry, fight with people, we get hurt feelings, we feel neglected, we feel life has been unfair to us, so we react to these situations. To tell you truth, I really did not want to write about this subject.  This is an area where I am weak.  If you do not struggle with these shortcomings, then I congratulate you for your wonderful attitude and I praise the Lord for giving you His absolute peace!  Maybe you have not reacted to every situation well, but just a few of them? You know that I am just trying to make a point that we all are human in nature and struggle.  The wisdom that He wants to give to us is for our taking if we mentally and spiritually crawl up in His gentle caring lap.  I will join you to repent of my weakness asking for His strength.

I know when I read of the encounter that Jesus faced during His mock trial, knowing he was facing death; I marvel at the gentle turning away that Jesus had for his own life.  He knew the bigger picture, because He was God in the flesh.  He looked down through time at every face that would accept His love and He made an unselfish decision for you and me.  He loves us and I know that I do not deserve this unconditional love.  I have done nothing nor will I do anything that would merit this kind of sacrifice and love.  Choose today to start fresh with the attitude of being content in all situations.  You now know the secret to being content.  Start fresh today to draw on the strength that only the Holy Spirit gives us as we face each new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment