Monday, March 7, 2011

FRESH START TODAY - (Blog 13)

The title for this week’s topic is “YOU CANNOT CHANGE YOUR PAST, but you can choose to have a FRESH START!

The scripture to focus on this week is found in Philippians 3:12-14, Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.  (NIV).

 The fresh start of your spiritual relationship with God truly begins here at this point.  Our mind and heart need to be ready for today only, because it is very difficult to go forward if you are carrying any kind of past baggage.  The past memories can be full of wonderful events in your life that you do not want to forget, though.  My dad once said to me that if you have 51 ups and 49 downs then your life is successful. This statement can be very difficult to grasp if it seems your life is on a downward spiral.  On the other side of the coin, if you feel blessed and encouraged, it is not hard to understand.  Did you notice that we seem to understand and focus better when we are feeling blessed?  What causes the downward spiral?  Could it be sin, which is rebellion against God, or maybe wrong decisions or the enemies’ whispered lies? You decide for yourself the reason.

I sometimes feel like “Maverick” when he used to say “My pappy once said,” but here it goes again.  My dad would listen to me about difficult choices that I had made and he would just ask me, “What did you learn from this?” and waited for my answer.  When he approved of my reflection or solution he would say, “Now remember what you have concluded and move forward.”  We have all been given the ability to find the answers we need by God’s unique creation in mankind. We have even a greater gift of wisdom in the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, as believers.

We are all on a journey in this world and none of us really can obtain perfection.  The Scripture tells to take hold of Jesus the way He has taken hold of us.  My recommendation is that part of our way of taking hold of Jesus is through prayer and the reading of the Scriptures.  By doing this we are keeping in touch with our greatest friend we will ever have in this world.  Decide for yourself to forget the mistakes of your past and start fresh today with a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ. If you have asked for God’s forgiveness then let it go!

1 comment:

  1. Hi mama! Great post. I think, for me, what I need explained even more is how to "take hold of Jesus". Letting go of my past seems much more easy when I remeber, or am reminded that He has taken hold of me....in my imperfections, and inability to do EVERYTHING right, and loves me perfectly....so much so that He gave His life out of His great love for me. I am accepted and loved perfectly. Not only is it easier to let go of my past, but I find that the Lord is so attractive when I am reminded (or remind myself) of who He is and what He has done. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete