Wednesday, February 29, 2012

FRESH START TODAY - (Blog 46)

FRESH START TODAY – Learn to be Rich in Faith – Wednesday, February 29, 2012

James 2:1-5, My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him? NIV

It never ceases to amaze me how God’s Word speaks to me on a daily basis. James was the half brother of our Lord Jesus Christ and speaks out against showing favoritism. I do not know about you, but I have been teased and shunned by people. It was not because I had shabby clothes on, but because I was handicapped as a child. I could not hear very clearly and was just different. I will not go into details about my handicap, but it created in me a low self-esteem, so I had to work hard to be normal. What is normal, anyway? I was 10 years old when I had major surgery to correct my handicap and spent the summer in the hospital. I learned to accept people who were differently capable. These gracious people have blessed me through the years. Those that could not see taught me to see, those that could not hear taught me to listen, those that could not walk taught to be thankful for life every day and those that could not read taught me to see the messages that are spoken in the world around me. These wonderful differently capable people seemed to have a faith in God that was deeper than I had.

The Apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 4:11-12 that he had learned to be content in every circumstance that he was in, whether being rich or being in need. I know that I have failed to have this kind of positive attitude, but through the trials of life, I am learning the truth that circumstances should not control my attitude. God is leading us, through certain circumstances, that we face, to surrender to His power, wisdom and Grace for each day. We should not show favoritism, but be willing to reach out in faith to people that SEEM to be less desirable. You may be surprised how God’s Holy Spirit will bless you.

Dear friends and family, here is another story to say what I want to say. I was 32 years old when my mother because critically ill. I flew from Alaska to Arizona to see her before she passed away. After being at the hospital for three days I became distressed and prayed asking God to give me someone to reach out to, with His love, who felt the same way I did. It only took God ten minutes to answer that prayer. I walked up to a black woman in the ICU waiting room who was obviously in distress. I put my arms around her praying for her and her loved one that had just been brought to the hospital. I did not care who she was, but I soon found out. This precious lady and her family became my strength in the Lord through their witness and love for the Lord over the next two weeks. Ruth Owens was the wife of “Jesse Owens” who won several races in the 1936 Olympics. I learned what it was like to be rich in faith. Remember not to show favoritism, because in being like Jesus, you will be blessed.

My prayer has been, “Lord, bless me, so that I may glorify you”. May the Lord bless you, so that you can glorify the Lord through your lives. He needs us all, who believe, to surrender to reaching out to others and not to show favoritism. We must remember that in the book of James, he told us that God has chosen the poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith. May you and I be encouraged with these scriptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment