Monday, April 4, 2011

FRESH START TODAY - (Blog 25)

FRESH START TODAY…  What are your plans today?

Prov 11:25, 
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. NIV

I was going to delete this week’s topic, but I struggled with leaving this Scripture out of the FRESH START TODAY.  The Lord had a message through the Wisdom of Solomon, so they are important to remind us all that if we need to be refreshed then we need to be generous to others. 

I know that if I sit in my own home alone for long periods of time my mind will begin to wander towards negative thinking.  This may open the door to becoming self-absorbed and to possibly think that I have no value in life.  I need to be willing to drop the lonely feeling, step out and care about other people.  The thought here is not to go looking for someone to listen to our concerns, but to listen to what others may need in their life.  My sister and my sister-in-law have said that volunteering at a place that serves the needs of other people is a sure cure for loneliness.

Three days ago Marty and I walked over to another friend’s home to say good-bye, because they were leaving town the next morning.  We were there just one hour, but probably laughed more than we had in weeks.  I am still refreshed from the silly things we were talking about and the laughter stills rings in my heart this morning.  The laughter was refreshing to all of us.  Do you want to know the conversation?  The men were talking about how silly it is to tease cats and dogs!  I am sure you have some interesting memories of your own. Our beloved pets can sure tolerate a lot of things from their owners when it is gentle teasing.  My husband likes to tickle the toe hairs of our sleeping Sheltie.  He twitches and kicks and it causes him to wake up quickly! 

What about people that may not be able to get out because of a physical handicap? What would your suggestions be for this person knowing that being generous to others would refresh them?  Do you know of a person that you care about that needs to be generous to you?  God created us to be interdependent in our world, so that no one should experience loneliness.  When I have visited nursing homes I have found people of great value that have given me words of wisdom.  My mother-in-law is 87 years old and just last night she asked me what I was writing about now?  I told her the main theme is to decide on a FRESH START TODAY.  She said that was always her thoughts each day that she has lived.  She is now so thankful for all the new beginnings that God has given her everyday and she is more aware of His presence in her life.  My mother-in-law has been a generous lady (not with money) most of her life, but with her time to encourage other people.  I believe that is why she can reflect on memories that keep her refreshed every day now that she cannot get out of her home on her own.

What about telephone call?  Do you want to be generous today to someone, so that you can be refreshed and prosper?  Just a simple, but powerful thought from the Word of God!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment